The coliseum was completed in 1954 across the street from the Memorial Student Center.
It was sometimes referred to as “Jollie Rollie” or “The Holler House on the Brazos.” It was home to the men’s basketball team, and later included women’s basketball and the volleyball teams until Reed Arena opened in 1998. The coliseum was also the site for the annual Aggie Muster ceremony, concerts and commencements. Beginning 2009, the university bookstore was moved to the coliseum while renovations were being done on the MSC, which reopened in 2012.
The coliseum’s namesake, G. Rollie White, class of 1895, was dubbed the “Steer King of Texas.” He served on the board of directors from 1926 to 1955. A Corps dorm was named after him in 1939, but it was changed to Eli Whiteley Hall for the World War II Medal of Honor recipient in 1969.
The coliseum was demolished in August 2013 to make way for the renovation and expansion of Kyle Field.