The Varsity Tennis Center, built in 1998, was named for benefactor George P. Mitchell, class of 1940, in 2003. The previous tennis facility, the Omar Smith ’37 Tennis Courts, was located where the Coolidge Practice Field is now, south of Kyle Field.
The courts were rebuilt on West Campus, and feature an 18-court complex for intramurals and a 12-court athletics center for the tennis teams. The 12-court center, features locker rooms, training room and a grandstand for approximately 3,000 people. The facility has hosted Big 12 and NCAA championship tournaments.
Mitchell donated funds for campus buildings in the physics and astronomy departments and land in Galveston for a Texas A&M marine sciences campus. Mitchell was named a distinguished alumnus in 1977. He died in 2013.